Wednesday, March 16, 2011

OC Cooking Made Easy!


Living alone for the first time has its ups and downs, especially living off campus. I no longer have inebriated floor-mates running up and down the halls screaming when I’m trying to study for a test or sleep. My days of having to walk down the hall to brush my teeth or use the restroom are over. However, as mundane as the servery food seemed to be when I was on campus, I miss not worrying about what I have to cook tonight.

It can be a difficult transition to go from cooking nothing to cooking almost all of your meals. Being the poor college student I am, eating out for every meal is not an option. So I had to learn how to cook, but not only cook. I also had to figure out what foods were healthy, which foods I could eat as often as I wanted, and which ones to limit. I did this mostly by listening to my body at first. Does this make me feel energized or sluggish? Satisfied or starved? By listening to my body and paying attention to what foods made me feel great, I ended up (with the help of Maria of course) creating a food plan that fit my body and my daily activities.
Now to the food part! Below are some of my favorite meals, a breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I usually keep bulk ingredients for each meal in case I have a loss of cooking creativity and just need to whip something up to kill my hunger.  I don’t have exact measurements on them because I typically just add what I feel is right. Plus, everyone has different tastes, for example: I LOVE garlic so I add more than recipes call for. Don’t worry if it doesn’t taste right the first time you make it. Keep trying until you get the right combination!

Breakfast
Greek yogurt with berries and Grape Nuts©: I typically buy a pint of honey yogurt but you can also buy plain and add your own honey

Ingredients:
Greek yogurt
Frozen berries or fresh berries
Grape Nuts

Take all of the ingredients and mix together in a bowl and eat!

Lunch
Chicken salad sandwich on Pumpernickle bread: Ask anyone in the Wellness Center and they’ll tell you that I love Pumpernickle bread! Not just because of its amazing taste but it’s also a good source of fiber and has a low glycemic index. Maria suggests using roasted chicken with this sandwich because it’s healthier (and tastes better) but canned chicken is good for a backup.  I’m a real mayonnaise girl so I get the Mayo made with olive oil. My weakness is chips so I opt for veggie chips instead of potato as a side.

Ingredients:
Roasted (or canned) chicken
Mayo (made with olive oil)
Pumpernickle bread toasted

Mix the chicken and mayo in a bowl. If you want to mix it up add grapes, raisins, etc. Toast the bread and add the mix on top!

Dinner
Whole wheat pasta with garlic and tomato sauce: This isn’t the typical thick tomato sauce you think of with pasta. It’s base is olive oil so it’s very light but flavorful.

Ingredients:
Pasta
Olive oil
Salt
2 Garlic cloves
Italian seasonings
Grape/Plum Tomatoes
Mushrooms
Parmesean cheese

Boil the pasta in salted water with about a tablespoon of olive oil. Heat about half a cup of olive oil on medium heat in a saucepan. Once oil is hot, add chopped garlic cloves to oil and heat until light brown. Add tomatoes and chopped mushrooms. Cook until tomatoes have popped and juice mixes in with oil. Add sauce to pasta and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment